If there’s a loofah in your shower, toss it.
Because it’s a germophobe’s nightmare. Here’s how bad it is, according to dermatologist Dr. Dendy Engelman. She says, with every use, you’re transferring the bacteria from your skin to the loofah. And because the scrubber has so many nooks and crannies, your dead skin cells get trapped, and bacteria starts multiplying, thanks to the moisture and a lack of air circulation. That means, every time you scrub with a loofah, you’re just spreading around the bacteria you washed off yesterday.Plus, scrubbing too hard can literally make tiny scratches in your skin, forcing the bacteria through the wounds, which can make you sick or give you an infection. If you can’t give up your loofah – make sure you use a natural one… and sanitize it the same way you would your kitchen sponge. Zap it in the microwave while it’s wet for 20 seconds once a day.